Friday, November 6, 2009

Student ambassador profile: Emily Smith

Study abroad, conduct research, complete internships, and succeed in classes? You name it, they've done it! Our CEHD student ambassadors are busy making the most of their opportunities here at the University of Minnesota. Get to know our ambassadors...and discover what life is like for CEHD students. The first ambassador to be featured in this series is Emily Smith.



Hello everyone! My name is Emily Smith and I am currently a junior at the University of Minnesota- Twin Cities, in the College of Education and Human Development. I am from Ladysmith, Wisconsin--somewhere you've probably never heard of or seen on a map!

Why did I choose the U of M? There are so many things that are wonderful about my campus, however when it comes down to it, I chose to come study at this fabulous place because of all of the opportunities and resources. Some of my favorite opportunities through the University (and Twin Cities) include our awesome study abroad office, volunteer resources, as well as all of the great features of the big city (from Twins games to great restaurants)!

My majors include Business & Marketing Education and Human Resource Development, and I have minors in Human Resources & Industrial Relations, as well as a minor in Leadership!

Some of the highlights in my engagement here at the U of M include: Attending a conference on leadership at Disney World in Florida, volunteering through Big Brothers Big Sisters, and being a teaching assistant in the communications department and leadership minor office. My favorite experiences here all lie within the leadership minor (which is an AWESOME program). Through this minor, I took a service-learning class where I volunteered at a high school in St. Paul and also studied abroad in South Africa!

I cannot tell students enough about the importance of having a study abroad experience. In my opinion, it has been the best thing I have been a part of here at the University and many students also reflect in the same manner. During the summer of 2009, I studied abroad through the leadership minor in Capetown, South Africa. In spring 2010, I will be spending a semester in the Virgin Islands through a national exchange program!

No comments:

Post a Comment